H is for Hair! 💇🏾‍♂️

The letter of the week is H and the children are learning about their hair. We set up the Writing Table with mirrors, paper, permanent markers, and photos of the children. Then we asked them to look at their reflection and draw what they saw, and write the word "HAIR" on their paper. 

 









We also asked the children to describe what their hair looks like and tell us how they take care of their hair, like what hairstyle they have, how they fix or wash it, or if they go somewhere to get it cut. We love writing down their exact quotes and hearing their thoughts out loud! It's fascinating to hear their ideas, but also gives us an understanding of how they see themselves. 

Is your hair long or short? What color is your hair? How do you style it or take care of your hair? 

Benji: I have a mullet! That's when it gets long in the back and that's how you grow a tail. But someone cut my tail when I got a haircut. That's cause I was too tickly. It will grow back.

Cammy: My hair is short. I go to haircut to cut it. Barber cuts and cover me with something to make the hair not fall down on me. Daddy take me and the hair fall on my nose! When the barber does the clipper it feels hot.

Easton: My hair is short. My hair is black. I go to the barber. We have to wait for Uncle Jason at the bench. He cuts my hair.

Edith: My hair has a tiny ponytail braid. My mom always does my hair every morning! My hair is sooooo long, but medium long too. It is lightish darkish brown. 

Elaine: My hair is a robot hair. It is dark brown. 

Favian: My hair is long. It is black. 

Gia: My hair is black. I have ponytails. It is short and long. Mommy does my hair, but last time my grandma does. And then my mom do it again. 

Harper: This is my hair! Sometimes Mommy puts glitter in my hair. [In my picture I drew a baby bunny.] The baby bunny has no hair yet because she's just a baby! 

Jingyu: My hair is short. It is black. Sometimes I don't go to school to go to haircut!

Johnny: My hair is short. It is black. I brush my hair with Dad. We put gel because it's so sticky!

Jordan: My hair is black. It is short. I went to the haircut place to give me a balloon and a lollipop. 

Keone: My hair is short. I got a haircut. 

Kai: My hair is very long! My hair is brown. I wash my hair in the shower. I put gel on the weekends. At school, no gel.

Nohea: My hair is dark on top and light on the bottom. It's [Princess] Jasmine style! I have lots of hair ties. I want to cut bangs. 

Maggie: My hair is long. My hair is black. I want rainbow hair!

Mia: My hair is a long. It is a ponytail. I don't know what my hair will be tomorrow. 

Olive: My hair has two braids. When I went to the Supercut, they take off the dead hair with scissors! When I wake up my hair is messy because I don't braid it. 

Theo: My hair looks like it's black. It's short. I take a bubble bath to fix it.

Ryanne: My hair is long. It is gold! It's way up high. I get a haircut by no one.