Measurement Through Play

The children are exploring measuring in the classroom in several ways. In the Science Area, they explored rulers as they measured plants and stems, and recorded their findings with markers and paper. With building materials, the children have been stacking and building with blocks to compare to their height. The children have also been counting how many blocks they've used to build their towers!

These activities support the children's curiosity in how things grow, their own identities (how tall am I?), and early math skills like counting and number recognition! It also supports understanding of cause and effect as they build their towers and watch them fall. 




Stacking wooden and foam blocks horizontally to compare heights 

 
 

Using rulers to measure flower stems in the Science Area


A child carefully stacks her blocks while playing outdoors 


This child counts to "4" after stacking his blocks in the gym



These children worked together to stack their blocks vertically. One child says, "I can help get to the top one because I'm tall." 


It's so fun to watch the children's reactions as they anticipate their towers toppling over